2019-03-06 02:27:50

DETROIT -- The Toronto Blue Jays can win an occasional pitching duel, too -- or at least hold their own until Brett Lawrie and the rest of their sluggers finally break through. In a game that was scoreless until the ninth inning, Lawries three-run homer highlighted a big burst for the Blue Jays, who then held on for a 5-3 win over the Detroit Tigers on Tuesday night. Drew Hutchison pitched seven scoreless innings for Toronto, which now has the second-best record in the American League but still faces questions about the sturdiness of its starting rotation. "He looks like a veteran out there," Lawrie said. "Hes throwing the ball very well for us. Hes keeping us in ballgames." The Blue Jays have a team ERA of 4.07, and aside from Mark Buehrle, their pitching has been shaky. But Hutchison was sharp against Detroit, allowing three hits without a walk and striking out seven. If Toronto can pitch like that, Lawrie, Jose Bautista, Edwin Encarnacion and the rest of the lineup should be able to provide enough offence. "I didnt really get going and get into a good rhythm until probably about the fourth or the fifth," Hutchison said. "Obviously, I believe Im a good pitcher, and Im capable of doing that every night, and thats what I expect out of myself." Anibal Sanchez matched Hutchison with seven scoreless innings, but both bullpens came unglued in the ninth. The Blue Jays broke loose against Joe Nathan (2-2) to win this matchup of the AL East and AL Central leaders. In his first season with the Tigers, Nathans ERA is now an unsightly 6.86 after he was charged with four runs Tuesday. "Im at a loss for words. I thought I threw pretty well," Nathan said. "Ive got to be better. A lot of bad luck out there, too. But the biggest thing is another loss for the team." The 39-year-old right-hander walked Anthony Gose to start the ninth -- Torontos first baserunner since the fourth inning. Gose stole second and went to third on a single by Jose Reyes. After a popup by Melky Cabrera gave the Tigers hope of escaping the jam, Bautista put the Blue Jays ahead with an RBI single up the middle. Bautistas grounder slipped between shortstop Andrew Romine and second baseman Ian Kinsler. Romine appeared to shy away at the last second, as if Kinslers presence distracted him, but it wasnt clear if the ball was hit hard enough for an inning-ending double play anyway. "Im not sure if Romine thought Ian was going to get to the ball or Ian thought Romine would get the ball," Detroit manager Brad Ausmus said. "I thought it was going to be a double play ball at the time, but it was more in the middle than I could tell from my angle." Nathan nearly picked Reyes off third, but the safe call was upheld after a replay review. After Encarnacion walked to load the bases, pinch-hitter Kevin Pillar hit a sacrifice fly off Ian Krol for the games second run. Lawrie then went deep off Al Alburquerque for his ninth homer of the year. J.D. Martinez hit a three-run homer with two outs in the ninth for the Tigers. Casey Janssen came on and struck out Don Kelly for his ninth save in 10 chances. Dustin McGowan (3-2) worked the eighth for the win. The Tigers avoided a second straight shutout, but Detroit has lost three straight. Sanchez allowed two hits with five strikeouts and no walks. NOTES: Detroits Austin Jackson was given an error on a flyball by Texas Mitch Moreland from a May 24 game after an official scoring change. The play was originally ruled a double. ... Home plate umpire Tony Randazzo was hit near the throat in the fifth when Hutchison bounced a pitch. Randazzo was shaken up but able to continue. ... Detroit RHP Rick Porcello (8-2) takes the mound Wednesday night against Toronto RHP R.A. Dickey (5-4). <a href="http://www.cheapairjordan1.net/">Cheap Air Jordan 1 For Sale</a>. Speaking on TSN Radio 1050s TSN Drive with Dave Naylor on Monday, Colangelo said he had no intention of tanking the shortened 2011-12 season, but definitely wanted a high pick in the draft. "I wish that word wasnt used for headline reasons," said Colangelo, "but the story behind it was: how can we fix the system? How can we tweak the system to make it less likely that teams are rewarded for losing records? "I do believe that if youre as transparent as we were at the time - with our season seat holders, our fans, the market place and the media - everybody knew what the plan was and what we were going through. <a href="http://www.cheapairjordan1.net/">Air Jordan 1 Retro Cheap</a>. The Broncos quarterback earned the offensive award Wednesday after passing for 374 yards and three touchdowns in a 37-21 win over the Raiders Monday night. Manning completed 32-of-37 passes and had a passer rating of 135. <a href="http://www.cheapairjordan1.net/">http://www.cheapairjordan1.net/</a>.com) - Ryan Miller made 28 saves to record his fifth shutout of the season and second in as many nights as the Vancouver Canucks defeated the Carolina Hurricanes 3-0 on Friday. <a href="http://www.cheapairjordan1.net/">Air Jordan 1 Sale Usa</a>. Team officials travelled to Los Angeles on Thursday night to meet with the free agent, a person with knowledge of the plans said. <a href="http://www.cheapairjordan1.net/">Best Cheap Air Jordan 1</a>. On Monday night, many fans in this city placed the blame squarely on the captain for his role in the James Neal overtime winner against the Pittsburgh Penguins. LAKE FOREST, Ill. -- The Chicago Bears agreed to a three-year contract with defensive end Willie Young and a one-year deal with receiver Domenik Hixon on Thursday. Young joins a defence that is getting a makeover after struggling in a big way last season. The Bears released eight-time Pro Bowl defensive end Julius Peppers this week and brought in defensive end Lamarr Houston from Oakland, linebacker Jordan Senn from Carolina and safeties Ryan Mundy (New York Giants) and M.D. Jennings (Green Bay). Now, they have two new starting ends in Young and Houston. "This is important for us to get a second defensive lineman, a quality starter, an opportunity for Willie to grow and for us to grow with him," general manager Phil Emery said on a conference call. "When we went into free agency we felt that if we could find a way to get two starting defensive linemen, we would have made forward progress. Weve been able to accomplish that." The 28-year old Young spent four years with Detroit and can play on the left or right side. He had 47 tackles, three sacks, five pass breakups and two fumble recoveries last season. He had discussions with Jacksonsville but wound up in Chicago, instead. "Having (linebacker Lance) Briggs here anchoring the middle, it goes a long ways, having that solid leadership starting from the middle and working our wway out," Young said.dddddddddddd "Im excited to be here. And Im looking forward to a very aggressive defence here in the making. And right now theres nothing to stop us other than ourselves." Hixon had seven catches for 55 yards with Carolina in 2013. He has experience returning kickoffs and punts but did neither for the Panthers. Emery said he will get an opportunity to do that with Devin Hester gone. He previously played for Denver (2006-07) and the New York Giants (2007-12). In Chicago, hell be reuniting with quarterback Jay Cutler and receiver Brandon Marshall, his teammates with the Broncos. Meanwhile, Emery said cornerback Charles Tillmans return remains "an ongoing process" and had no update on the free agent. He also said time is running short on defensive tackle Henry Melton to re-sign. Meltons been visiting other teams. The Bears are open to bringing him back, but their available cap space is shrinking. "The clocks ticking," Emery said. Melton was arrested and charged with assault and public intoxication following an altercation at a Dallas-area bar in December. His agent has said Melton did not start the incident. "I think thats been an ongoing issue in terms of that issue coming to conclusion," Emery said. "In terms of evaluating Henry the player, thats separate from that." <a href="http://www.chinawholesalejerseysnfl.com/">Wholesale Jerseys</a> ' ' '

1. 1